Thursday, December 28, 2023

Excerpts from Anne from Green Gables

Santhosh recommend this book (Anne from Green Gables) to me and I borrowed it from the library and started reading it. 

The book is based on the character of a 11 year-old (?) Orphan girl living near Nova Scotia in Canada during the 1900s. I found the book really interesting, many a times I would smile wholeheartedly reading through what Anne has to say in the book.. about her various imaginations... her expectations/desires/preferences and her attitude towards life. Quite simple but still beautiful. The fact that I have a daughter who is slightly younger than Anne, I guess makes it more interesting. Provides me a window through which I can peek into their beautiful world. 

Some of what she says are quite mature for her age and I feel that's where the author has put her words through Anne. 

Here are a few excerpts from the book, which I found worth documenting:

"You set your heart too much on things, Anne", said Marilla with a sigh. "I'm afraid there'll be a great many disappointments in store for you through life."

"Oh, Marilla, looking forward to things is half the pleasure of them." exclaimed Anne. "You mayn't get the things themselves; but nothing can prevent you from having the fun of looking forward to them. Mrs. Lynde says, 'Blessed are they who expect nothing for they shall not be disappointed.' But I think it would be worse to expect nothing than to be disappointed." 

 

No comments: